There are many reasons for vaginal dryness. Factors like hormonal misbalance or taking certain medications, emotional factors and anxiety can all contribute toward this condition. However, this condition can be easily treated by following some easy steps.
First thing you should do is to find out the place or the source of the problem. The following are some conditions that are responsible for vaginal dryness.
- Hormonal misbalance. This is one of the most usual reasons for dryness. When the estrogen levels are on decline that can lead to vaginal dryness. This usually occurs after giving a birth, during menopause, or while breastfeeding.
- Taking medications. Some common medications can cause vaginal dryness as a side effect. For example, medications against allergies or asthma, or pills that contain antihistamines are known to have contributed towards vaginal dryness.
- Irritation to some products. Many women have allergic reactions to some products for personal hygiene, like soaps, shampoos or perfumes. It is best to avoid those products that cause the problem, and use mild or neutral hygiene products.
- Low libido. Vaginal dryness also happens when the woman is not aroused enough. When the woman has some sexual problems with her partner, like premature ejaculation, that can also lead to vaginal dryness.
- Stress. This is a common problem in many women, because anxiety and stress can significantly lower the sexual desire, and that can lead to problems with vaginal lubrication. When the woman is stressed out, the blood flow is slower and that can lead to dryness.
Vaginal dryness can be treated depending on the major cause for it. Estrogen therapy has proved to be very beneficial to women that have problems with hormonal misbalance. Sometimes local vaginal treatment with estrogen inserts, such as rings or pellets can also help in this situation. Besides these, there are some pills and estrogen patches that are another good option for elimination of vaginal dryness.
Besides estrogen therapies, there are a couple of more solutions in treating vaginal dryness. Moisturizers and lubricants have also proved to be a good tool in the battle against low vaginal lubrication. There are lots of vaginal lubricants on the market, including oil-based, water-based or silicone-based products. Lubricants are usually good short-term solution, and they can also make the sex more comfortable and enjoyable. Moisturizers are a good option for eliminating vaginal dryness for a few days. Usually one application is enough to eliminate the problem for up to a week. Moisturizers work in a way that they help by watering the vagina tissue.
Vaginal dryness can be frustrating thing, but it is a common condition in many women today. However, there are numerous ways for alleviation of the problem. If the low lubrication causes painful sex and other discomforts, then it would be best to consult your doctor for the best treatments. Important thing is not to panic and to be open for trying different things. The abovementioned solutions can all be good steps towards elimination of this problem.